Buildings and Grounds
September 19, 2018
Construction is well underway at all three schools. The high school gym floor replacement was completed over the summer and the volleyball team was able to have their first home game in this gym.
Demolition started in August and is still continuing.
- Ceilings are coming down in preparation for the new HVAC system.
- The auditorium has been gutted and the back wall torn down. A temporary wall was built in front of the auditorium to keep students and adults out of the construction area.
- A road was built behind the high school for the construction companies to bring in heavy equipment for the demolition and re-construction of the auditorium.
- A NYSEG easement is being moved 4 feet to give them access to install, maintain, repair and/or replace transformers on District property behind the high school.
- Tile is being removed from the floor and walls of the back areas of the locker rooms to ready these areas for new bathrooms. A wall divides these work areas from the locker rooms.
It has taken time for the construction company to adjust their mindset from total access (August) to limited access and hours while school is in session. The two major issues have been noise (jackhammering) and dust. The ceilings have been in place for decades collecting dust. When the ceilings come down, so does the dust. There is also grout dust as the tile is jackhammered away. Plastic has been put up to keep the dust out of occupied areas and fans blow it out of the building. Jackhammering is now limited to the hours between 5:00 am – 7:30 am. Custodial staff and construction crews mop floors daily to keep the dust to a minimum. If you've ever done home renovations, you know how difficult this is!
We are asking everyone to keep away from construction areas and areas where construction materials and vehicles are stored. This includes weekends, holidays, and days/times when school is not in session. Trespassers will be prosecuted since this is a serious safety concern.
If you have questions or concerns about the construction, you may use the direct link on the district webpage (left side under announcements) to email us or use email@example.com
Thank you for your support and patience!
Facility and Security Manager
P: (607) 564-9955 ext 4129